As you know, we’re launching an exciting new program as a joint venture between Village Capital and Points of Light: the Civic Accelerator, which focuses on “civic engagement” ventures. And we’re looking for someone to take it to the next level. The director of the “Civic Accelerator” will manage both an accelerator program and an impact investment fund focused on using citizen engagement to solve the largest problems in the U.S. and the world. Apply by August 15th; see the job description below.
POSITION DESCRIPTION — DIRECTOR, CIVIC ACCELERATOR
- Title: Director, Civic Accelerator
- Organization: Points of Light and Village Capital
- Reporting: Direct report to the President, Civic Incubator (Points of Light)
- Location: San Francisco, CA; Atlanta, GA or Washington, DC
The Civic Accelerator is an educational program and impact investment fund for enterprises that put people at the center of change. The Director of the Civic Accelerator, a joint venture between Points of Light and Village Capital, will inspire innovation in civic engagement across the U.S. with investment and hands-on support. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to build a pioneering, challenging, and thought-provoking entrepreneurship platform from the ground up. The Civic Accelerator is made possible with the support of PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc., and Starbucks.
The chosen candidate will be part of small group working to develop products and services to lift up social entrepreneurs and help them successfully launch new civic ventures. The candidate will also build and manage an impact investment fund that supports nonprofits and for-profits at the innovation stages. The senior position will work directly with Civic Incubator staff at Points of Light and Village Capital, as well as with a broad network of entrepreneurs, mentors and investors and partners.
The target portfolio for the Civic Accelerator will include the following themes: volunteerism platforms (eg, Sparked); crowd funding (eg, Kiva, Milaap); service (eg, Fuse Corps); collaborative consumption models that improve communities (eg, ViaCycle); and civic engagement tools (eg, DemDash, LoudSauce).
- Develop and implement the launch and operations of the Civic Accelerator program
- Identify, meet with and recruit entrepreneur participants through various channels
- Facilitate the application review and selection process
- Fundraise to meet programmatic and investment goals
- Build and manage relationships with strategic partners (Village Capital, Impact Assets, The Hub, etc) and referral partners (universities, foundations, other accelerators, etc).
- Recruit and manage relationships with the impact investing community; make strategic introductions to help portfolio companies raise additional equity or philanthropic funds.
- Manage the portfolio of investments, including monthly, quarterly and annual reporting; help facilitate successful exits where possible.
- Manage all aspects of the 12-week program delivery including:
- Engage and confirm expert panelists and facilitators
- Act as facilitator for the 12-week program (conducted 2 times a year); promote value-added discussions during peer-to-peer assessment and feedback sessions
- Observe and audit program sessions to ensure quality of program delivery
- Record notes, highlight best practices and make recommendations for change
- Communicate stories and results through various channels including social media
- Work with the Civic Incubator leadership team and strategic partners to evolve the program model to meet changing needs of civic entrepreneurs and impact investors.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will demonstrate entrepreneurial and leadership experience, a passionate commitment to civic change, and have a bias for action with an ability to be innovative. We are looking for a leader who is organized with excellent writing, communication, and analytical skills and enjoys working in a fast-paced and team-based environment.
- Successfully launched one or more startup companies or nonprofits from idea stage through successful exit or significant growth/impact levels
- Impact investing or venture capital experience and relationships required
- Fundraising experience required
- Strong leadership, analytic, and strategic planning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including facility with social media
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a flexible, entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment
- B.A. required; MBA or advanced degree preferred
ABOUT POINTS OF LIGHT, VILLAGE CAPITAL AND THE CIVIC ACCELERATOR
Points of Light inspires, equips and mobilizes people to take action that changes the world. The organization has a global focus to redefine volunteerism and civic engagement for the 21st century.
The Civic Incubator, a division of Points of Light, drives innovation by inspiring, connecting and supporting social entrepreneurs. We embrace civic engagement as fundamental to a purposeful life and essential to healthy communities. We, therefore, serve as the platform from which entrepreneurs are able to launch new ventures aimed at putting people at the center of change.
Village Capital is a global organization focused on building seed-stage enterprises seeking impact through peer-driven support and investment. Inspired by the concept of the “village bank” in microfinance, Village Capital puts the hard tasks of building companies–criticism, strategy, feedback, and legwork–in the hands of entrepreneurs themselves. In Village Capital programs, entrepreneurs leverage help from their peers and develop a network of like-minded leaders to reach scale.
The Civic Accelerator is a joint venture between Points of Light and Village Capital, and will invest in the next generation of startups that get people engaged in their community. The program will include mentoring, entrepreneur education, peer support and networking. Additionally, small investments will be made across the cohort ($10,000 each) as well as larger seed investments for two of the most promising solutions ($50,000 each) selected by the entrepreneurs themselves. We plan to launch with an initial cohort of 10 teams from around the country and are looking for entrepreneurs launching both nonprofit and for-profit social enterprises.
IMPORTANT: Please send your resume and cover letter or direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Director, Civic Accelerator” in the subject line.